Labor day weekend is usually filled with BBQ’s, cookouts, pool parties, beach days, and other fun activities. It is typically hard to eat healthy and make wise decisions with a lot of activities taking place. Here are some recipes for eating healthy!
Marinated Chicken Shish Kebabs
These are delicious for a cookout and super easy to make. It’s easiest to prepare them the night before or before the cookout starts- then the kebabs are ready to go whenever they are needed! I let mine marinade over night but it is also ok to let them marinade for about 2 hours. There will still be a nice fresh flavor! This recipe yields 6 servings. It takes about 20 minutes preparation time, and 10 minutes cooking time!
Nutrition Facts: Per Skewer; 243 calories; 6g fat; 8g carbohydrates; 36g protein; 1g fiber
You will need:
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into small 1″ pieces
- 6 wooden skewers
- 2 large green or red bell peppers, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1 large onion cut in to 1″ pieces
- 6 fresh mushrooms, halved
1. Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, vinegar, garlic, cumin, thyme, oregano, salt and peppers together in a large glass bowl. Add the chicken and toss, making sure each piece is coated evenly. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
2. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat. Oil the grate lightly. If grilling isn’t desired- preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
3. 30 minutes before cooking, soak the wood skewers in water.
4. Remove the chicken from the marinade and shake off the excess liquid. Discard the remaining marinade. Alternate pieces of marinated chicken, bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms onto the skewers.
5. Cook the skewers on the grill turning frequently until nicely browned on all sides and until the chicken is not longer pink in the center, about 10 minutes.
**If cooking in the oven cook the skewers for about 20 minutes, turn and cook for 5 more minutes or until the chicken reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
Hopefully this turns out as yummy and easy as it did for me! It is extremely juicing when cooking it on the grill and the vegetables go so well with the marinade. Enjoy!
Balsamic Grilled Zucchini
Every kebob needs a side dish! These balsamic grilled zucchini are to die for! They are extremely easy to make and to love. Make these with the kebabs and you will not be disappointed!
Nutrition Facts: 4 serving made; facts are per serving. 32 calories; 2g fat; 2g carbohydrates; 0.2g protein; 0.2g fiber
You will need:
- 2 zucchinis quartered lengthwise
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons low sugar balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat grill to medium-low heat and oil the grate lightly.
2. Brush zucchini quarters with olive oil, sprinkle garlic powder, Italian seasoning, and salt.
3. Cook on preheated grill until beginning to brown (3-4 minutes) per side. Brush balsamic vinegar over the zucchini; continue to cook for 1 minute. Serve immediately.